Tuesday, August 6, 2013

SAHM to Working Mom

I have been a stay-at-home mommy most of my mommy life, but I have also tried working. It's nice to be a SAHM, but it has some down sides. Being a working mom has its ups and downs as well. Let me tell you all about my experiences with both...

A few months after I learned I was pregnant with my first child, I resign from my job. It was my first job and I was just there for three months. My hubby and I weren't married yet. We were not even living together yet. I lived with my mom and honestly I wasn't mature enough to think of the future.

Just before my son turned 2, I decided to try out being an Assistant Teacher for a good preschool in Alabang. My friend was working there and told me they were looking for someone to fill the position. I wasn't doing anything and my mom offered to take care of my baby during the day. So might as well give it a try, rather than doing nothing at home. I enjoyed it but pay was too low. Minimum wage and the school was in a mall. So I'm spending more than I'm earning. Haha! I had to quit coz of family problems (death in family, depression, yaya gone, etc) It wasn't worth it anyway because of the low pay.

So, I was back to being a SAHM. I just focused on planning our Wedding. I also put up an online shop (I was selling baby sandos and shorts). I wasn't bored because I was filling up my day with things to do,plus taking care of a baby requires the bulk of my day, really.

Wedding done. Hubby and I started living together in our own (well, rented) house. My son isn't a baby anymore. I got more time on my hand. Online shop didn't push through. Basically, I was doing NOTHING. I always get jealous of hubby coz he gets to go out sometimes. I sometimes take out my frustrations on him and my son. I was miserable at home. Super depressing not to have your own money and without money, you won't be able to go out with friends. I felt alone. I kept telling my hubby about all my frustrations. He felt for me and told me that the only thing I can do to get out of that rut was to get a job.

So I did. It wasn't easy. We didn't have a yaya to take care of our son. I tried to apply to a lot of companies (non BPO) but they rejected me because I am a mother (yup I was pissed on how judgmental they were).
I really do not want to work in a BPO anymore. Then, things were looking up. My sister-in-law decided to stay with us in our house (she can take care of our son while I'm at work). And a friend told me about this Account Executive job in Seair's Inflight Magazine. I got the job!

It was what I needed.. a job. It was a field position. I get to go around the metro looking for and meeting with clients to advertise in the magazine. I honestly do not know anything about sales, but I like how it challenged me.

I can't deny that I missed my son so much. I was so used to being with him 24/7. But you know what, it's the missing him that makes it so much better when i see him. I cherished every minute we had together. Before, we were always together, but not really 100%. I was always busy with other things. When I worked, my attention was 100% only to my son.

Another good thing was the money. Pay was good. I got to buy my hubby a really nice gift on Christmas. My Christmas gifts to him before that were mostly I owe you's or make him dinner (which ingredients he bought).

Our ref was full. ALWAYS. I pass by the grocery and buy whatever I want. I remember one time, during my non-working days, I would pay our village meatshop coins! Yup, as in piso piso na 100 pesos! I woud also just buy pork or chicken coz beef was expensive.

I wasn't depressed anymore. I got to go out with friends/cousins (not all the time, but if I really wanted to I can). Working was the right decision.

Until, I got pregnant AGAIN!

To be honest my initial reaction wasn't great. I wasn't happy at first. All I thought about was that I'd have to give up my new found happiness...my money and freedom.
But when it sunk in. I was happy.

Eventually I had to quit working. I couldn't carry thick magazines while walking around the metro with a baby bump. My hubby also insisted I quit.

So..back again to being a SAHM.

I wasn't depressed anymore. I was stressed most times though. Two kulit boys are too much to handle without a yaya. I'd have to cook and clean also. Those nights that I am exhausted, I drink a couple of beers by myself. Haha! I hope that doesn't make me an alcoholic. LOL.

I kept busy too. I studied a new language! Spanish!

Now, my bunso is almost 2 years old. I am happy and excited to say that I will be working soon!
My studying paid off. I got accepted in a Spanish queue in a BPO! I actually cannot believe it! It's a too good of a deal to pass. So back to work I go!

I'll be starting in a month. I have this time to find a yaya, review more of my spanish, fix the house and ready my kids.
Wish me luck on this great new opportunity!

Thanks for reading! I hope I didn't bore you guys too much. Haha!


1 comments:

Mitchteryosasaid...

As they say, we can't have everything at once.

I can relate to your story. You and I had a very similar one! I worked abroad, came back and worked in a BPO. But I felt that something was missing that I had to go back to the corporate world. So I did. But I got pregnant with my 2nd daughter. Returned to working from home but then again, it's something that is not just for me. So here I am again working in Sales & Marketing (for 3 years now). Just like you, I didn't have any idea what I was doing in this department when I started hahaha!